Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pro v Con

I really do think that when reviewing the pros and cons of this topic the cons drastically outweigh the pros. When Joe Jackson's punishment is compared to those of current baseball players using steroids or accused of domestic abuse, it really doesn't seem fair that one of the greatest ball players who ever lived was banned from baseball and prohibited from being inducted into the baseball hall of fame. Jackson didn't hurt anyone, and baseball gurus concur that Joe played exceptionally well during that infamous World Series game. I do however agree that Jackson should have been penalized for what he did, bribery after all is a felony. A precedent needed to be set for future baseball players, and the baseball association did not want children to lionize Joe the way they did other players.

When juxtaposing contemporary baseball players with those of the early nineteen hundreds, ramifications were much more severe eighty years ago. Today players are getting away with the illegal use of performance enhancing drugs and domestic violence. As long as the players admit to using steroids nothing can happen to them. Andy Pettitte for example, admitted to using performance enhancing drugs, and therefore he won't be punished since he told the truth. Is it really fair that just because a player admits to wrongdoing he isn't punished? I for one do not think that is fair, using steroids is the same as cheating. It gives the baseball player an unfair advantage over players who are going to the gym and practicing seven days a week. Yes, Jackson did deserve to be penalized, he committed a crime, but it was not fair that just for one minor mistake he was thrown out of baseball for life. It is not just that baseball players today are walking through the system without so much as a warning. It doesn't seem that Jackson's punishment was comparatively commensurate with his crime.

What I am arguing is that I do not think it was and is fair that Joe Jackson, one of the greatest baseball players in history was banned from playing baseball for life, after he was supposedly exonerated from his crime. Fast forward 85 years, and the issues have changed, however ball players are still in the limelight and not necessarily in a good way. The crimes have changed, and so have punishments. Baseball players today have gotten into the habit of using steroids, which is illegal, unless prescribed by a physician. Players such as Jason Giambi and Andy Pettitte have admitted to using these drugs. Steroid use is a felony, so is "throwing" a game. I do not see how it is fair that 85 years ago players acquitted of felonies were banned form baseball for life, but players in the new millennium using steroids have just been at most fined, and suspended from 20 games.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I think this is a very interesting topic. I actually never knew that all a player had to do was admit to using steroids and they were off the hook. I just wasn't quite sure exactly which side you were arguing. Is it that players should be punished whether they admit to use or not? Or is it that Jackson was punished too severely for what he did? It could be that I didn't read it clearly or something but i just wanted to make sure. Other than that I think you made some very good points and it's something that a lot of people probably never really thought of before, at least I know I haven't.

Stef said...

Well, I agree with you in the fact that compared to today's society he was punished harshly. But, I am doing PED's as my topic and believe it or not they are not banned in baseball, throwing a game is. Hence, why he was banned from baseball and players such as Jason Giambi weren't. If you look at my pro side it kind of explains how/ why players today aren't punished the same as Joe. Joe was in a baseball era similar to the steroid era today. It was an era of scandals, and just like today societly became suddenly beccame outraged, andd action had to be taken. I am not sure if you know that Jason Giambi I believe was fined heavily andd lost money on his contract because of his admittance to using drugs. I think it is very interesting that you picked him to compare to today's players. I am curious to see how this turns out, especially since I am an avid baseball player. But, I am also confused as to what you are arguing is it his punishment, or today's punishment, and which side.

Stef said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stef said...

heyy sorry i was rereading this post and I meant to say: (it's after the old post)

Hey,
Sorry about the steroids comment... yes steroids are banned in baseball and are illegal in most states. But, most other performance enhancing drugs that have been illegal in baseball are not banned or illegal.

I meant to say that there are a lot of PEDs that aren't illegal or banned in baseball.