Monday, March 31, 2008

What the Experts Say

1. "Baseball failed to keep faith with me... it read that if found innocent of any wrongdoing, I would be reinstated. If found guilty, I would be banned for life. I was found innocent, and I was still banned for life."
-"Shoeless" Joe Jackson, 50 years after the 1919 World Series

2. "I copied Jackson's style because I thought eh was the greatest hitter I had evr seen, the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."
- Babe Ruth, professional baseball player

3. "Though Mantle had been sober for more than a year, 42 years of drinking caught up to him on May 28th."
-Steve Wulf, Time Magazine Journalist

4."Joe's 1919 World Series statistics speak for themselves. Compare the statistics of the other players and you will see, joe Jackson played his heart out and played to win."
-Jay Bennett, statistician

5. "That, however, apparently would describe most of Chicago. When Shoeless Joe tried to report it, even asking to be benched for the series, he was ignored."
-Eliot Asinof, author of Eight Men Out: The Black Sox and the 1919 World Series

6. "Jackson, one of the game's most brilliant batters, hit over .400 during the 1911 season."
-1950 newspaper

7. "In most states, both state and federal laws prohibit anabolic steroids, and a person can be prosecuted under either."
-Joseph Parkins, retired attorney

8. "Yes. We spoke and educated three or four players there... Rafael Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez, I van Rodriguez, I injected them. Absolutely."
-Jose Canseco, baseball player, also author of Juiced

9."God knows I gave my best in baseball at al times and no man on earth can truthfully judge me otherwise."
-"Shoeless" Joe Jackson

10. "He could run, hit, and throw the best of them in both leagues, but he lacked judgement, education, and common sense."
-Ted Williams, fellow player on the Chicago White Sox

11. "The guy got a raw deal, he should be in the Hall of Fame."
-Jay Bennett, statistician


1 comment:

Stef said...

Sounds good. Sounds like you have good quotes and he's a good guy.